MHRP's PEPFAR program in Tanzania handed over three care and treatment facilities last week to local government to enhance HIV prevention, care, and treatment services in underserved areas.
The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR), HJF Medical Research International (HJFMRI) and MHRP supported renovations of three health care facilities in Tanzania’s Southern Highlands: Matema Care and Treatment Center, Ipinda Reproductive and Child Health Clinic, and the Mwambani Care and Treatment Center.
A ceremony to officially handover the newly renovated facilities took place at the Care and Treatment Center at Matema Lutheran Hospital, Kyela District, Mbeya Region on August 20, 2021. Representing the U.S. government was Dr. Donald Wright, U.S. Ambassador to Tanzania.
Speaking during the event, Ambassador Wright lauded the new facilities as a strong symbol of the U.S. commitment to improving the health of all Tanzanians through partnership with the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders. “Let there be no doubt that the United States is a friend to Tanzania. We stand together with the Tanzanian government, with the Ministry of Health and all its health care workers, and with the people of Tanzania to achieve better health outcomes for all Tanzanians,” he said.
According to Walter Reed country director Mark Breda, the renovated facilities will offer patients more space, privacy and improved services, thus leading to better health outcomes.
Other ceremony guests included:
- Chairperson- Parliamentary Committee on HIV, TB, Drugs and Non-Communicable Diseases- Hon. Fatuma Hassan Taufiki
- PO-RALG Acting Director of Health Services- Mr. Raymond Kiwesa
- District Commissioner- Mbozi (for RC Songwe)- Hon. Cosmas Shenye
- District Commissioner- Kyela- Hon. Ismail Mlawa- Representing MOH and RC Mbeya
- District Administrative Secretary- Songwe (for DC Songwe) -Mr. Chesco Mbilinyi
- Hospital Bishop- Matema Hospital -Dr. Edward Mwaikali
- Deputy Diocesan Health Secretary- Mwambani Hospital - Mr. Japhet Kalindu
- Walter Reed Country Director- Mr. Mark Breda
- HJFMRI Executive Director- Ms. Sally Chalamila
- U.S. Defense Attaché’s Office- SCPO Adam Hoffer